Thursday, May 1, 2008


My artsy photo at Miller:

Opinions and whom you seek to give you and opinion is sort of an art form in itself. The other day I sent a copy of my photo to three people and asked for their opinion. Two of those are photographers and the third is of the artistic bent. The two photographers did not like or understand the photo. The person with the artistic bent liked the photo. I was beginning to doubt my eye and what I thought might be a fairly good piece of art. I then sent it to another person in Canada who is an artist. He made a couple of slight changes, like making the colors brighter and adding some wording to the photo. He understood the photograph.

I now just have to find a use for the photo as it is and maybe I have learned something. I still need to learn more about working with the photos once I have the picture taken. I can see that I need to take some classes in Adobe Photoshop.

The other thing that I have learned is that if you seek opinions maybe, just maybe it would help to know or at least have an idea of your opinion givers. Will the opinion giver be giving technical advice or true artistic advice? Knowing what you are seeking in an opinion will help you to receive the constructive opinion that you are seeking. In this case I was looking for an artistic opinion and I received that from the artists. The photographers gave me technical opinions in that they thought the photo was blurry and that they couldn’t tell what it was a picture of and generally didn’t like the photo. I found that just a little bit strange.
Special thanks to Paul C. for his advice and opinion.

No comments: