Sunday, April 20, 2008

My sopbox for the day:

My soapbox for today!

I was reading in my favorite British car magazine the other day that the IRL and CART have kissed and made up and apparently the IRL has won the long war over open wheel racing in the U.S.

First of all I believe that it is a good thing that they have combined into one organization. Unfortunately, Tony George is now the Czar of U. S. open wheel racing. It appears that the new Champ, IRL car will be just another one make racing series. What a frigging bore. Now I have nothing against one make racing series, the Star Mazda is a good example of a one make series that has a serious place in racing,. The Star Mazda series is a great place and set of rules to help develop up and coming race drivers. As for a premier racing series I foresee a serious lack of interest from sponsors, and spectators. As much as I am not a great fan of NASCAR, the thing that NASCA has going for it is the variety of cars participating Ford fans come to see a Ford race and win, Chevy fans the same along with Dodge fans, heck even Toyota fans can now be a NASCAR fan. F-1 has BMW, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari’s to root for.

Can you see Ford or Chevrolet putting their names on a racecar that has an engine with somebody else’s name on it? I don’t think so. Honda has already said that they will be pulling out of American open wheel racing.
To bring back the pizzazz and excitement in American open wheel racing Tony is going to have to develop a series that has diversity in it and that encourages manufacturers to get involved with engines and chassis. If you can get Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Renault and Ferrari or even only a few of them involved then Tony will truly have a world class racing series. Good luck Tony! I am not going to hold my breath until it happens; as I do not think that Mr. George has the will and or brains to make a really great series. The only thing that Tony George wants to do is to promote the Indy 500 and Tony George. To tell you the truth ever since Tony came into power at Indy I have not watched more than a half an hour of the Indy 500 on any year, most of the time I don’t even care who won.

No comments: