Thursday, August 14, 2008

Thought for the day.

This has been a long week and it is not over yet. Tuesday night was my night in the barrel. I was the late driver, which means that I went to work at 3 p.m. and if everything goes right I get off at 3 a.m., thing of course did not go quite as planned. I ended up getting off work at 5:30 a.m. Fourteen and one half hours driving a crappy Astro van. The money wasn’t too bad though. I did on one of my runs pick up a man from China and he asked if he could hire the van to take him around town while he made business calls. Our company doesn’t do that, but in the end he hired me my car to take him around the valley today end my car. He paid me for 6 hours work and extra for gasoline. All in all it was a good day. Any day I can score some extra green is always a good day. Speaking of extra green. I received an email from the magazine today and not only are they going to publish one of my photos, they are even going to pay me and send me a copy of the issue.

This weekend is The Miller Park Racing at Miller. Duh… I am going to try and go out for Saturday and Sunday. September is just about the last month of racing at Miller. The first weekend is for Vintage Motorcycles, then the Hero’s of Speed, the Rolex Grand Am and the final race is a Porsche Club event. The end of the racing season is almost upon us. How sad!

Now for some pissing and moaning, maybe just a little sour grapes thrown in. Recently one of our drivers totaled his second van. Now this driver started just after I did so he has less seniority than me. The first total was last winter when he hit a moose up on I 80 on the way to Park City. The thing about that accident was that he had a van full of people paying him to drive them safely and he did nothing to try and avoid the Moose. He told me that he didn’t even try and use the brakes much less the steering wheel. Oh my gosh, there is a Moose in front of me I guess I’ll just ram it at full frigging speed. About two or three weeks ago during a heavy rain storm he came barreling out of a cloverleaf turn and hydroplaned lost control and drove the van up onto the Jersey barrier. The police investigating cited the company for having tires with only 3/32 tread. The tread may have been a little low but that is no excuse for him on his inspection sheet to say that the tires were ok. Isn’t that why they have us inspect each vehicle before we take it on the road? The company was apparently afraid of him suing them so they gave him his raise about four months early. What do I have to do to get a raise wreck a couple of vans? I know that at just about the same time that S---- wrecked his van I began to hydroplane during the rain and I was driving slowly.
Tomorrow I will try and be more positive and even post some photos of racecars.

No comments: