Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Nascar at Miller:






Last weekend it was the NASCAR West Camping World Series at Miller. To tell you the truth this is only the second Nascar race that I have ever been too. I have watched a few Nascar races on the tube throughout the years and have been to a few short track races. I have also driven my old Bobsy Formula Vee on an oval and don't tell anybody but I thought it was great fun and a challenge. I did like the fact that smoothness is of the utmost importance on an oval. At one time before Miller came into being I had even considered getting a Legend car. Yes, I did consider going circle track racing, mostly because Utah did not have a road race track. Now thanks to Larry Miller we have a world class road race facility.


Anyway, last weekend was the second Nascar race at Miller. They used the 3 mile outer track. Also on the card was Miller Park Racing Association and Formula 2000. I was covering the F2000 races for Formula Car Magazine. I will say that the F2000 cars were much faster on lap time than the Stock Cars. The F2000 cars could lap at over 100 mph. and were close to ten seconds a lap faster. They had some really good races and Jeff Westphal won on both days. Jeff was clearly very fast, smooth and a racer. I think I heard that he is hoping to get into Indy Lights. Soon I will post some pictures of the F2000 cars and races and racers.


The big ground pounder's while not as fast as the F2000 put on a great show, with a lot of rubbing slipping and sliding, crashing and just plain racing. This may be a rung or two down from the main NASCAR cup race series but let me tell you if you ever get a chance to see them race, do it.


Today I just quickly picked out five photos of some of the cars on Fridays practice.

No comments: