Friday, July 4, 2008






The Art of The Racecar:

Can the racecar be a piece of Art? I think it most definitely is. It is a piece of performance art, a palate for the artist, the sculpture, and a piece of mechanical art. Art should be a pleasure to the eye and even the ear and the soul.. Form equals function I think I read somewhere. I cannot remember very many ugly successful racecars. Aerodynamics comes into play in making a smooth looking racecar. Smoothness means clean airflow, clean airflow means clean lines. Simple lines and form seems to always follow successful racecars.

In the form equals function I think that one of the best examples is the Swift DB4 Formula Ford (an example is attached the yellow FF.) Note in the Swift how compact and clean the lines are. The function of the line of this car is cut through the air as cleanly as possible.

Sculpture, is quite evident in the modern racecar. My example is the Penske Porsche LM2. The bodywork is sculpted around the internal components to create clean sculpted lines that cover the car and still allow the form to function in the matter of aero dynamics.

Another example of sculpting bodywork is the Stohr D-Modified racecar. The body is formed to be extremely efficient and yet be very attractive. The beauty of this car may have been an accident, but this then follows the Form = Function.

An art canvas: I think that BMW and or Porsche started the art car at Le Mans. BMW hired some artists to paint various cars and Porsche had the Pink Pig 917. In that vein I am posting a photo of a current Porsche that sort of qualifies as an art car.
The mechanical bits that make up a racecar can also be works of art in their own right. I think that I may have to leave that for another time. It is getting late and I need to go to bed.

No comments: