Saturday, November 10, 2007

Hayman Can-Am racecar







1966 Hayman SR-3 Can-Am Racecar:

When I first saw this car through the viewfinder I thought it was a McLaren Elva Mk I or II. Like I said I was looking at the car through the viewfinder on top of that I’m old and my eyes aren’t that good anymore. I could tell that it appeared different in that the bodywork was fuller, fatter and just a little bit different than the McLaren as I remembered the McLaren.

I came across the car in the pit garages and found out that it is a Hayman and that it was built in Canada. There may have been up to five made. I have found only one mention of a Hayman Can-Am car in the Internet. http://www.markwilliams.com/custom.aspx

1966 Hayman SR-3 Can-Am Car
"This unique car is one of three built by Hayman Engineering, a Canadian helicopter manufacturer. Owner Gorge Frey restored the all-aluminum monocoque car to show quality condition. There was a need to upgrade the axles, front hubs and brakes with new components to improve functionally. The owner relied upon Mark Williams Enterprises to adapt our vented brake assembly including custom hubs and axle assemblies to the existing hub carriers. Custom parts produced for this project included flanged axles, aluminum front hubs, brake adaptors and special wheel studs."



There is a photo of the front suspension along with this brief article. Other than this I cannot tell you very much about this car. If anybody out there in cyberspace has some additional information on this car I would appreciate it if you would share with me. The car was very nicely turned out and the driver seemed to get faster as the weekend went on. On Saturday it appeared that the car had a minor problem with an oil leak but the car was back on the track on Sunday.
An interesting if not fairly rare car.

1 comment:

royfabhay said...

Hello my name is Roy A Hayman if you want to find out more about the Hayman S R 3 you may contact me at roy.hayman@sympatico.ca or phone any time (As I am retired) at 613 0967 8437. BY the way the Hayman S R 3 is 1967 and not 1966 I have the 1966 car here at this time. thank you ... Roy